Angelic Ritual of Banishing
A ritual that calls upon the seven planetary angels Tzaphqiel of Saturn, Tzadqiel of Jupiter, Kamael of Mars, Michael of the Sun, Haniel of Venus, Raphael of Mercury, and Gabriel of the Moon, as well as the four elemental angels Michael of Fire, Raphael of Air, Gabriel of Water, and Uriel of Earth, to purge and purify the sphere of the magician. This ritual was first mentioned in this 2019 post, and is based on the banishing ritual given by Fr. Rufus Opus in his now discontinued Red Work series of magical courses, specifically from the first volume of the Black Work section. The ritual itself is essentially a pared-down and heavily modified form of the conjuration ritual given by Johann Trithemius’ Drawing Spirits into Crystals.
This ritual may be done at any time as necessary or desired; for beginning magicians, it is recommended to perform this at least once a day, ideally in the morning before the day’s activities get underway, but it may also be done at the close of day shortly before retiring to bed. Though it may be done anywhere, this banishing ritual is best done in a quiet and safe place. The only two extra things that might be desired for this ritual are holy water and a wand; both are good to have, but neither are strictly necessary. The holy water may be used as a preliminary ablution, but this may be omitted if desired. The wand is used to trace a circle and conjuring the presence of the angels generally, but this may be done instead using the index finger alone or the index finger and middle finger together of the dominant hand. Incense of a purifying and uplifting nature, especially frankincense, may be burned, but there is no requirement or need for it for this ritual.
- Take a moment to relax and breathe deeply a few times.
- Stand to face the East.
- If desired, cleanse yourself with some holy water. You can wipe your forehead and hands, you can make the small three Signs of the Cross on the forehead and lips and heart with the thumb, or you can make one large Sign of the Cross with the thumb and index finger and middle finger on your head, heart, and both shoulders (left to right or right to left, depending on whether you want to go with a Catholic Christian approach, or an Orthodox Christian or qabbalistic approach).
You have cleansed me with hyssop, o Lord; you have washed me whiter than snow.
O God, author of all good things! Strengthen me that I may stand fast without fear through this dealing and work. Enlighten me, oh Lord, so that my spiritual eye may be opened to see and know the works of your hand.
- Holding a wand in your dominant hand, or otherwise using the index finger of the dominant hand, trace a circle on the ground around you clockwise starting in the East. While doing so, recite:
In the name of God, the Holy, the Almighty, the Light, I consecrate this piece of ground for my defense, so that no evil spirit may have power to break these bounds prescribed here. Amen.
- Conjure the seven planetary angels. Recite:
In the name of God, the Holy, the Almighty, the Light! From the seven heavens above I conjure you, you strong and mighty angels of the seven planets. Come forth, here to this place and now at this time: Tzaphqiel of Saturn, Tzadqiel of Jupiter, Kamael of Mars, Michael of the Sun, Haniel of Venus, Raphael of Mercury, and Gabriel of the Moon. Come forth in answer to my call; be with me here, and fill this place with your presence!
As you do so, visualize the presence of the angels appear around you or the symbols of their planets, starting from behind you to your right and appearing counter-clockwise, with Michael directly in front of you to the East.
- Conjure the four elemental angels. Recite:
In the name of God, the Holy, the Almighty, the Light! From the four corners of the Earth I conjure you, you strong and mighty angels of the four elements. Come forth, here to this place and now at this time: Michael of Fire, Uriel of Earth, Raphael of Air, and Gabriel of Water. Come forth in answer to my call; be with me here, and fill this place with your presence!
As you do so, visualize the presence of the angels appear around you or the symbols of their elements, starting in front of you and appearing clockwise, with Michael in the East in front of you, Uriel in the South to your right, Raphael in the West behind you, and Gabriel in the North to your left. Visualize them a little closer to you and a little below the planetary angels, who stand behind them and a little above them.
Tzaphqiel! Tzadqiel! Kamael! Michael! Haniel! Raphael! Gabriel!
Michael! Uriel! Raphael! Gabriel!
Oh you blessed angels gathered, let no spirit nor ill intent nor any scourge of man bring harm to me. Cleanse now the sphere of this magician; cleanse my body, my soul, my spirit, and my mind of all defilement, all impurity, and all filth. Let no evil spirit nor pollution nor leech nor any unclean thing here remain.
Lord, your will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven. Make clean my heart within me, and take not your holy spirit from me.
- Let yourself become purified with the power and presence of the angels conjured around you. Feel them washing you with their light and their power, permeating you and passing through you in all directions to remove from you all pollution, harm, and any and every baneful influence. Stay in this state as long as desired.
- Release the spirits. Recite:
O Lord, I thank you for the hearing of my prayer, and I thank you for having permitted your angels to appear unto me.
O you angels of the seven planets and you angels of the four elements, I thank you for your presence. You have come as I have called, and you have aided me as I have asked. As you have come in peace, so now go in power.
- If desired, untrace the circle drawn on the ground with the same implement as before (wand or finger) in a counterclockwise direction, again starting in the East. Whether or not the circle is untraced, when ready to leave, simply step out of the circle, preferably stepping forward towards the East.
As a simple ritual, variations may be made to fit the magician’s specific needs. Two major variations include, but are not limited to:
- Instead of calling upon the four elemental angels Michael, Raphael, Gabriel, and Uriel, the four kings of the Earth may instead be called: Oriens of the East, Paimon of the West, Egyn of the North, and Amaymon of the South. Change the wording and names in step 7 accordingly, as well as the names and wording of “blessed angels” to “blessed spirits” in step 8.
- In addition to calling upon the planetary angels and the elemental angels (or kings), the magician may also call upon the twelve zodiacal angels: Malkhidael of Aries, Asmodel of Taurus, Ambriel of Gemini, Muriel of Cancer, Verkhiel of Leo, Hamaliel of Virgo, Zuriel of Libra, Barbiel of Scorpio, Adnokhiel of Sagittarius, Hanael of Capricorn, Kambriel of Aquarius, and Barkhiel of Pisces. This step would be placed immediately before the conjuration of the planetary angels, with similar wording, replacing “from the seven heavens above” to “from the starry firmament above”. These angels would be visualized starting with Malkhidael of Aries in the East and proceeding counterclockwise from there.